[no subject]

RE: Planned Disclosure on the UFO/Extraterrestrial Subject and
National Security Oaths

The CSETI (Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence)
Project Starlight initiative has now identified several dozen former
and current military, intelligence and defense contractor related
witnesses to UFO/ETI events and projects.  As set out in a number
of documents and briefings (see enclosures) it is our intention to
have these important witnesses provide open, public testimony on
this matter in the very near future.

In the summer of 1995, we requested that the President take
appropriate steps to allow these witnesses to speak openly, without
civil, military or other penalties. Since then, there has been an
exponential growth in the number of such witnesses who wish to
come forward.  Some of them are elderly, and suffering from
serious medical conditions.  We feel that these patriotic and
courageous heros of our country - who very much wish to tell their
fellow citizens the truth on this matter- must not take this
information to their graves. Therefore, we are asking from you a
clear determination regarding their freedom  to speak openly on
this subject.

Over the past three years, we have found that members of
Congress, the Executive Branch, military and intelligence leaders
have not been briefed on this important matter, and that operations
related to the subject exist as 'unacknowledged' special access
projects.  Most operations exist in the private aspects of the
military industrial sector, with apparently extra-constitutional
funding and oversight.

As such, and until established otherwise to our satisfaction, we
regard these operations, and all so-called 'security oaths' derived
from them, as illegal, and therefore non-binding for these witnesses
mentioned above.

Therefore, UNLESS OTHERWISE DIRECTED BY 1 JANUARY
1997, we will move forward with a series of events whereby these
witnesses may provide open, public testimony.  If we do not hear
from you, or if we hear that you  concur, we will proceed with a
public disclosure after that date. Only if you notify us specifically
that such witnesses to UFO/ETI related matters are still bound to
silence will our plans for a disclosure by them be altered. As
mentioned in previous briefings and documents to members of the
Administration, the military, the Congress and others, it is our
intent to effect this disclosure in a way which is scientific, forward
looking and hopeful. It is not our intent to cause instability for our
nation or the world, but , rather , to mitigate the clear dangers
which current covert management of this issue presents. We invite
your advice, assistance and support in this process of disclosure on
a matter which is arguably the most important of the twentieth and
early twenty first centuries.

Testimony from these witnesses will include but not be limited to:

     >Retrieval of disabled extraterrestrial devices and
       extraterrestrial life forms

     >Reverse-engineering projects related to extraterrestrial
        technology

     >Reconnaissance and tracking of UFO/Extraterrestrial
       vehicles

     >Covert projects related to the subject

     >Confirmation of military/UFO encounter cases

     >The nature and scope of disinformation programs related
        to the subject

We hope to hear from you regarding this matter as soon as
possible.

Thank you for your attention to this request for a determination on
the status of these witnesses as it relates to providing public
testimony during 1997.

Respectfully,

Steven M. Greer M.D.
Director of CSETI