[no subject]

December 20, 1996

Dear Colleagues:

        News reports this morning have brought the terrible news that Carl Sagan
has died. Our hearts go out to Annie Druyan and the rest of Carl's family.

        The Skeptical Inquirer: The Magazine for Science and Reason hopes to
publish a selection of brief tributes to Carl Sagan in our next issue from
friends, colleagues, and those touched by his life and work. This would be
the
March/April issue, which goes to the printer in mid January and is published
around February 1. Additional tributes may appear in the following issue.
Sagan
was a founding fellow of CSICOP, the publisher of the Skeptical Inquirer, and
long-time supporter of all CSICOP's efforts to promote science, reason, and
critical thinking.

        We hope a number of Carl's colleagues in science, education, and
skepticism will submit tributes. I am thinking of something of about 150 to
250
words. You may of course write more if you wish. Please include a
one-sentence
author note at the end. Also include full address information.

        Given the time constraints, probably the best way to send it to me is by
e-mail. In the subject box, please identify it as "Sagan Tribute for SI."
 Fax
and first-class mail are also acceptable.

        Please forward this message to colleagues you also would like to have
send us tributes.

        The issue in which these tributes appear will of course be shared with
the Sagan family.

                                                        Kendrick Frazier
                                                        Editor, The Skeptical
Inquirer