De: Eduardo Zotes Sarmiento <diotalle en jet.es>
A: Astronomia y Ciencias del Cosmos <ASTRO_ESPANA en LISTSERV.REDIRIS.ES>
Asunto: RE: [ASTRO] ¿Explicada la temperatura de la corona solar?
Fecha: viernes 12 de junio de 1998 12:35

----------
> De: Eduardo Zotes Sarmiento <diotalle en JET.ES>
> A: ASTRO_ESPANA en LISTSERV.REDIRIS.ES
> Asunto: [ASTRO] ¿Explicada la temperatura de la corona solar?
> Fecha: jueves 11 de junio de 1998 11:46
>
> Segun podeis leer en esta notica de la CNN, parece que se ha dado con una explicacion
> satistactoria de las grandes temperaturas que aparecen en la corona solar. Me gustaria
> que alguien confirmara la noticia, por que 'a priori' no me da mucha confianza. Aunque se
> alla publicado esa nota en NATURE, ¿conoce alguien las primeras reacciones de la
> comunidad?.

La CNN menciona el satelite llamado "Yohkok" del que se podria decir que 'no existe',
Altavista no da ninguna salida, jeje. («The researchers used a telescope on a space satellite
called Yohkok to measure, for the first time, how the temperature varies along the giant loops»).
Y para que esta el SoHo !!!

Bien... Esta es la nota que publica NATURE...

		Nature of the heating mechanism for the diffuse solar corona

                The temperature of the Sun's outer atmosphere (the corona) exceeds that of
                the solar surface by about two orders of magnitude, but the nature of the
                coronal heating mechanisms has long been a mystery. The corona is a
                magnetically dominated environment, consisting of a variety of plasma
                structures including X-ray bright points, coronal holes and coronal loops.
                The latter are closed magnetic structures that occur over a range of scales
                and are anchored at each end in the solar surface. Large-scale regions of
                diffuse emission are made up of many long coronal loops. Here the authors
                present X-ray observations of the diffuse corona from which they deduce its
                likely heating mechanism. They find that the observed variation in
                temperature along a loop is highly sensitive to the spatial distribution of the
                heating. From a comparison of the observations and models they conclude
                that uniform heating gives the best fit to the loop temperature distribution,
                enabling them to eliminate previously suggested mechanisms of low-lying
                heating near the footpoints of a loop. Their findings favour turbulent breaking
                and reconnection of magnetic field lines as the heating mechanism of the
                diffuse solar corona.
                E R Priest, C R Foley, J Heyvaerts, T D Arber, J L Culhane
                & L W Acton
                Nature of the heating mechanism for the diffuse solar corona
                (Letter To Nature)
                Nature 393, 545 (1998)

----------
Segun podeis leer en esta notica de la CNN, parece que se ha dado con una explicacion
satistactoria de las grandes temperaturas que aparecen en la corona solar. Me gustaria
que alguien confirmara la noticia, por que 'a priori' no me da mucha confianza. Aunque se
alla publicado esa nota en NATURE, ¿conoce alguien las primeras reacciones de la
comunidad?.

Gracias...

Salu2...

----------->
Coordinador Gnl:
                          EDUARDO ZOTES SARMIENTO
     SDAC     Sociedad para el Desarrollo de la Actitud Cientifica
                   SDAC WebSite -- http://sdac.home.ml.org/
CORREO ELECTRONICO: mailto:diotalle en jet.es  | | |  PGP Disponible

 Nº Beeper: 850499 ( CEM: 940 331 331 )  || NickName(IRC): BELBO
  WebMaster de: "Galeria Azul Home Page" http://azul.home.ml.org

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9806/10/science.sun.reut/

Solar mystery solved

Magnetic fields superheat solar atmosphere

                  LONDON (Reuters) -- Astronomers and mathematicians have solved a
mystery that has perplexed scientists for half a century --  why the atmosphere of the
sun is so much hotter than its surface.

                  They have known that the sun's surface is
                  barely 6,000 degrees Centigrade but they could not explain why its outer
                  atmosphere called the corona, where temperatures climb to several million
                  degrees, is so much hotter.

                  Nobody, until now, knew what was causing the dramatic increase in
                  temperature.

                  In a letter to the scientific journal Nature Wednesday, Professor Eric Priest
                  of St. Andrews University in Scotland and colleagues in Britain and France
                  said a clash of magnetic fields was heating giant, super-hot loops that extend
                  over the sun's surface to produce the extreme temperatures.

                  Priest said the finding was absolutely central to the rest of astronomy.

                  "The sun is our closest star and if we want to understand what is going on in
                  the rest of the universe we have to understand our sun," he said in a
                  telephone interview.

                  The researchers used a telescope on a space satellite called Yohkok to
                  measure, for the first time, how the temperature varies along the giant loops.

                  "Once we had measured the temperature profile, it was exciting to compare
                  the observations with predictions from the three main theoretical models
                  previously put forward," he said.

                  The findings matched one model that showed the heat was uniformly
                  released, probably by a clash of magnetic field lines causing dozens of
                  explosions that release energy along the loop.

                  Priest said the explosions occur in tiny regions of intense electric current that
                  heat the atmosphere in the same way as an electric current in a light bulb or
                  electric fire.