RE: [escepticos] RE: Libros para vacaciones.

----------
> De: Eduardo Zotes Sarmiento <diotalle en jet.es>
> A: escepticos en CCDIS.dis.ulpgc.es
> Asunto: [escepticos] RE: Libros para vacaciones.
> Fecha: domingo 2 de agosto de 1998 12:21
>
> ----------
> > De: Marmitako <palenzuo en ava.bcc.orst.edu>
> > A: escepticos en CCDIS.dis.ulpgc.es
> > Asunto: Libros para vacaciones. Era: Re: [escepticos] **el color de la piel
> > Fecha: jueves 30 de julio de 1998 7:48
>
> > [ ... ]
>
> > Desde luego, no empieces por "El gen egoista (Dawkins)", cosa que hace mucha
> >  gente que, con frecuencia, adquiere por ello una vision equivoca de los genes y la
> > evolucion que le dura para siempre.
>
> Como buen *librofilo compulsivo* tengo unos monton de libros esperando a ser leido,
> lo mio no es grabe solo 6, y uno de ellos es el de Dawkins. Asi que quiza espere...
>
> >     Te pido un favor: si lo encuentras publicado en Castellano, te agradeceria
> > si me dijeras la editorial, el precio y, si fuera posible, el nombre del
> > traductor.
>
> Como pasa en multitud de ocasiones, me temo que todavia no esta disponible en
> español. De David Quammen aqui solo tenemos "La Configuración Zolta" (1984)
> de Bruguera. Aunque ya esta agotado.
>
> Pero para los que se apañen con el idioma de los anglos, usease el english, les
> aconsejo que se lo pillen en B&N, por el precio mas que nada (13.60$ + 12.95$,
> precio y transporte respectivamente unas 3717 pts. Eso con el Intenational
> Airmail Service que tarda entre 7 y 21 dias. Se pueden pagar solo 1.95$ pero
> el periodo de recepcion es de 4 a 10 semanas. Por 7$ (980pts) vale la pena.
> Y por 6937 pts lo teneis en casa entre 1 y 5 dias. jeje).
>
> En fin... Yo creo que me lo pedire junto con "Intelectual Impostures" de Sokal, por
> supuesto... jeje...

Otra cosa...

La critica del libro en el prestigioso magazin literario...

The New York Times of Book

          The Rules of Extinction

          Date: April 21, 1996, Late Edition - Final
          Byline: By Robert Kanigel
          Lead:

          HE SONG OF THE DODO
          Island Biogeography in an Age of Extinctions.
          By David Quammen.
          Illustrated. 702 pp. New York:
          Scribner. $32.50.

          Slice up a fine Persian carpet into a few dozen neat rectangular pieces.
          The swatches may together occupy the same area as they did before. But
          your carpet no longer exists. You're left with a pile of worthless tatters
          and scraps. With this beguiling thought experiment, David Quammen
          begins ''The Song of the Dodo,'' his magnificent account of island
          biogeography -- a science that is not only about islands but about the
          whole fabric of the natural world. That fabric, the author warns, is
          unraveling, as once-unbroken expanses of woods, jungle and grassland,
          home to untold species of plant and animal life, are sliced up into industrial
          parks, housing developments, farms, parking lots, malls, roads. And
          maybe here and there a nature preserve.

          Text:

          But a nature preserve, Mr. Quammen shows, is not nature in miniature,
          however much it might awe a human visitor, for in its isolation and limited
          extent, it functions as an island. And islands consign animal and plant
          species to extinction.

          In 1598, Dutch explorers stopping in Mauritius, the small island 500 miles
          off the east coast of Madagascar, found a profusion of large-headed,
          big-butted flightless birds we call dodos and they called walckv<?>gel.
          That's Dutch for ''disgusting bird,'' though they were not so disgusting that
          nobody would eat them. A pair of the 30-pound creatures could feed a
          whole ship's crew. ''We can imagine the shipboard menu,'' Mr. Quammen
          writes in one of the madcap imaginative flights to which he sometimes
          gives vent -- ''boiled dodo, roast dodo, pickled dodo, kippered dodo,
          dodo hash.'' Humans, though, weren't the dodo's only enemies. Later
          settlers brought pigs and monkeys to the island, and these may have
          devoured the eggs of the ground-nesting birds. In any case, ''the song of
          the dodo, if it had one, has been lost to human memory.'' In 1662 a
          Dutchman briefly marooned on the island gave the last credible
          eyewitness account of a living dodo.

          The dodo is extinct. So are the tigers of Bali. And 45 species of bird on
          Barro Colorado Island. And hundreds of other island species. In the case
          of the dodos, humans played a major role. But that humans can be
          rapacious and shortsighted is not Mr. Quammen's point, at least not here.
          It's that dodos and other species met their end on islands. By one
          measure, he writes, ''an island bird faces about 50 times as great a
          likelihood of extinction as a mainland bird.''

          Lapped by the waves, distant from the mainland, most islands are isolated
          and, relatively speaking, small. Strange, wonderful things happen on them.
          To Mr. Quammen, the delicious quirks of evolution on the Galpagos
          Islands, with their finches, iguanas and tortoises ''familiar to anyone who
          can find PBS with a remote control,'' are not unusual but, instead,
          ''prototypically ordinary.'' At one juncture, Mr. Quammen simply lists
          bizarre creatures native only to islands, ranging from a tree-climbing
          kangaroo on New Guinea to a rattle-less rattlesnake on Santa Catalina in
          the Gulf of California to a carnivorous parrot that preys on sheep in New
          Zealand. For two pages he goes on like that. ''Geographical isolation,'' he
          writes, ''is the flywheel of evolution.'' And islands have it.

          But isolation endangers, too. Just as island species are more apt to take
          on bizarre, resplendent forms, they're also more apt to disappear. ''The
          evolution of strange species on islands,'' Mr. Quammen writes, ''casts light
          onto its dark double, which is the ultimate subject of this book: the
          extinction of species in a world that has been hacked into pieces.'' On the
          mainland, drought, disease or a glut of predators may kill many members
          of a species, but rarely all. Large populations, widely spread, absorb the
          damage. Ultimately, they bounce back. Sheer abundance gives species a
          better chance of long-term survival. But on islands? Well, if something
          goes wrong, it's big trouble. A new predator is introduced? A disease
          takes hold? Humans arrive? An island offers little margin for error.
          Numbers drop and, too frequently, the species edges into what Mr.
          Quammen calls ''the precondition to extinction'' -- rarity. Then chance
          takes over -- too few females in a few too many litters, an abnormally dry
          rainy season, and presto, extinction.

          Mr. Quammen's subtitle is ''Island Biogeography in an Age of
          Extinctions.'' As the author and many scientists to whom he turns make
          clear, islands are the small stage on which can be seen portents of a larger
          tragedy. Islands represent what humankind is making out of the world, as
          great continental masses ecologically come to resemble South Pacific
          atolls, and so threaten extinction to species uncountable.

          In the 16th century the Portuguese came to a 500,000-square-mile tract
          of unspoiled tropical forest along the Atlantic coast of Brazil, across high
          plains from the more famous Amazon rain forest. They started out by
          growing sugar cane. Settlements followed, then mining towns, and cleared
          fields for cattle grazing. And steel mills, which needed charcoal, which
          meant cutting down more forest. Then hydroelectric dams and highways
          and urban sprawl. Today only about 5 per cent of the original forest
          remains -- most of it, Mr. Quammen writes, ''in small strips and patches
          on hilltops, temporarily protected by inconvenience.''

          Brown howler monkeys, masked titis and golden lion tamarins, among
          other primate species, still live in the region. But many are now
          endangered. When the Portuguese landed, perhaps 400,000 muriqui
          monkeys lived there. By 1972, their numbers had dropped to about
          2,000, and by 1987, in one count, to 386 -- split into 11 scattered
          patches of forest. Portrayed on a map, they seem ''like a lonely little
          archipelago protruding above the ghost of Atlantis.''

          Another soppy environmentalist tract, reeking of snail darters and spotted
          owls, earnest unto death? Well, to indulge in one of Mr. Quammen's own
          writerly mannerisms, let's stop right here for a moment to correct that
          misapprehension. A former Rhodes scholar, an award-winning essayist
          for Outside magazine and the author of two collections of articles and
          essays and of three novels, Mr. Quammen is, by trade, neither
          professional environmentalist nor scientist. He is a writer. And the book
          he has worked on for 10 years is intelligent, playful and refreshingly free
          of cant.

          Yes, he revels in his tales of exotic species, he loves rolling their Latin
          names around on his tongue. Yes, he has a message. But he entertains us
          all the while, serving up an epic adventure of the mind and spirit. We join
          him as he gapes at giant tortoises in Mauritius, tracks komodo dragons in
          Indonesia, collects ants on an island off the coast of Baja California,
          surveys from the air the clear-cut rain forest of the Amazon. And we
          accompany him intellectually, too, through theories, conjectures and
          experiments of naturalists all the way back to Alfred Russel Wallace and
          Darwin himself.

          Blemishes to the performance? A few. Why, one asks, his habitual use of
          four-letter words? In a thousand other contexts, such language might
          sound just right. But not here. In a book that otherwise achieves such
          harmony between feeling and intellect, word and idea, these small, errant
          intrusions sound jarring off-notes. Then, too, perhaps Mr. Quammen
          didn't have to pile up examples quite so high. Also, the book's 178
          numbered sections, each a few pages long, end as cliffhangers a little too
          predictably. And sometimes -- as when he tells of getting mugged in Rio
          de Janeiro -- his personal adventures, however entertaining, don't quite fit
          the larger story.

          Still, in Mr. Quammen's hands, the bad news of species extinction
          unaccountably uplifts. For it reminds us of nature's sheer, ornery diversity,
          and why it needs to be preserved. We share in the excitement of a new
          scientific discipline aborning. By book's end, we glean hints of hope that
          the future may not be entirely bleak.

          ''The Song of the Dodo'' follows no straight narrative line. It loops back
          on itself, develops themes, returns to them, plays them out in different
          ways. Repetitious? No, not unless you call Bach repetitious. Think of it,
          rather, as variations on an irresistible theme. You could, I suppose, pick it
          up anywhere, read 150 pages and come away with a good grasp of its
          main ideas. But then you might miss the komodo dragons tearing apart the
          goat in a staged feeding for tourists.

          Here, in this richly elaborated work of a literary craftsman, we find
          rejoinder enough to the noisy claims of headline, hyperlink, computer icon
          and sound bite. Here is what a book can be.

=====>
                         EDUARDO ZOTES SARMIENTO
  SDAC     Sociedad para el Desarrollo de la Actitud Cientifica
                 SDAC WebSite -- http://sdac.home.ml.org/
CORREO ELECTRONICO: mailto:diotalle en jet.es  | | |  PGP Disponible
   Nick(IRC): BELBO     Galeria Azul http://azul.home.ml.org