[escepticos] RV: GMOs and Pusztai - the Royal Society reviews the evidence [AlphaGalileo]

Interesante:
El trabajo de Pusztai parece un tanto pocho, despues de todo...

> Title: GMOs and Pusztai - the Royal Society reviews the evidence
>
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 18 May 1999 10:45

> of feeding rats Genetically Modified (GM) potatoes appears to be
> flawed, and it would be unjustifiable to draw from it general
> conclusions about whether genetically modified foods are harmful to
> human beings or not, according to a report published today (18 May
> 1999) by the Royal Society
The Society produced a review of what was known scientifically about the use
of GM plants for food in September 1998. In April 1999 it established a
working group to examine the issues related to the possible toxicity of
genetically modified potatoes, reviewing all available data relating to work
at the Rowett Research Institute in this area. The report's main conclusions
are as follows:

On the basis of the information available, it appears that the reported work
from the Rowett Research Institute is flawed in many aspects of design,
execution and analysis and that no conclusions should be drawn from it.

We found no convincing evidence of adverse effects from GM potatoes. Where
the data seemed to show slight differences between rats fed predominantly on
GM and on non-GM potatoes, the differences were uninterpretable because of
the technical limitations of the experiments and the incorrect use of
statistical tests.

The work concerned one particular species of animal, when fed with one
particular product modified by the insertion of one particular gene by one
particular method. However skilfully the experiments were done, it would be
unjustifiable to draw from them general conclusions about whether
genetically modified foods are harmful to human beings or not. Each GM food
must be assessed individually.

The whole episode underlines how important it is that research scientists sh
ould expose new research results to others able to offer informed criticism
before releasing them into the public arena.

Full statement available: http://www.royalsoc.ac.uk/st_pol54.htm

 Mr Carl Smith
The Royal Society
carl.smith en royalsoc.ac.uk