[escepticos] RV: Acupuncture in Body Works

----- Mensaje original -----
De: <Dodger514 en aol.com>
Enviado: miércoles 1 de septiembre de 1999 5:36
Asunto: Acupuncture in Body Works

In searching for an anatomical diagram in the program, BodyWorks 5.0, I
stumbled onto a section on acupuncture.  The program is supposedly a valid
tool for the student of anatomy and physiology, and I was surprised to see
ill-supported claims being displayed in the "Health & Fitness" section of
the
program, as fact.

The program claims:
    "BodyWorks® is an informational program that lets you explore the world
of  anatomy."

Here is the program's complete section on acupuncture:
    "Acupuncture has been used in China for several thousands of years.  The
procedure has its roots in the ancient philosophy of Taoism, a belief that
man is  one with the universe and that all life is permeated with the life
giving energy of    chi.  Part of this belief is that all of our experiences
have opposites, such as hot     and cold, day and night.  These opposites
are
referred to as Yin and Yang.  They  merge and compliment one another through
out life, creating a balance.  When     the forces are in balance a person
is
in good health.  When the forces are not in     balance, disease may occur.
Acupuncture is a method used to restore the     balance in life.  In the
1960's a team of doctors from the West were invited by  Mao Tse-tung to
visit
China and investigate the technique of acupuncture.     Although it is often
thought of as alternative medicine, it has been surprisingly    successful
in
the treatment of many ailments where more conventional methods  have not
been
successful.  Acupuncture is most often used to treat rheumatism,
backache,
and headaches.  Doctors are still unable to explain the mystery of  why and
how it works, although there are several theories."

Aaron Alon
dodger514 en AOL.com

PS- As a side-note, I also couldn't help but also notice spelling errors,
such as "through out" and "compliment" (instead of 'complement').  It would
appear that the makers of the program care neither about the quality of the
material nor its presentation.