[escepticos] RE: RE:_[escepticos]__SOS_plutoniano_a_planetario's_y_víctor's

Algo más sobre el asunto...
Leído en l-dome, una lista 'pofesional' de planetarios. Lo dejo en inglés...
Por cierto, Julius, verás ahí que explica el Tombaugh lo que son lo que yo
llamaba los "kuipercitos", que el nombra "kuiperoides" y que en general se
llaman "objetos del cinturón de Kuiper", una clase en sí misma de objetos,
entre asteroides y cometas -para algunos más cometas que asteroides, para
otros lo contrario- (roca y hielos y polvo y demás) en órbitas
transuranianas...

Saludos

javier armentia

---
In the wake of all this controversy concerning Pluto, I wondered what
its discoverer, the late Clyde Tombaugh would have thought.  Well . . . here
below are exerpts of a letter that he fired off to Sky & Telescope back in
December 1994 (pages 8 and 9).  The letter comes under the heading, "Pluto:
The Final Word."

      "I'm fascinated by the relatively small 'ice balls' in the very outer
part of the solar system.  I have often wondered what bodies lay out there
fainter than 17th magnitude, the limit of the plates I took at Lowell
Observatory.  May I suggest we call this new class of objects 'Kuiperoids'?"

      "While we are considering reclassifying astronomy, how about revamping
the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram so the spectral types are alphabetically
ordered?  No, that would wreck extensive catalogs of stella spectra.  Or
let's throw out the awkward constellation system!  Alas, that would discard
our beautiful mythology."

      "Pluto started out as the ninth planet, a supported fulfillment of
Percival Lowell's prediction of Planet X.  Let's simply retain Pluto as the
ninth major planet.  After all, there is no Planet X.  For 14 years, I
combed
two-thirds of the entire sky down to 17th magnitude, and no more planets
showed up.  I did the job thoroughly and correctly.  Pluto was your last
chance for a major planet."

CLYDE W. TOMBAUGH
Mesilla Park, New Mexico

No surprise . . . if ol' Clyde were around today, he'd probably be defending
Pluto's
status for planethood.  -- joe rao