Re: [escepticos] Inercia

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eloy Anguiano" <eloyang en teleline.es>
To: <escepticos en ccdis.dis.ulpgc.es>
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2001 6:35 PM
Subject: Re: [escepticos] Inercia

> Javier Susaeta wrote:
>
> > ++++++++++++
> > Creo que sí tiene. Si no, el experimento -mental o material- del 'cubo
> > giratorio de Newton' no tiene otro recurso que el 'espacio absoluto'.
> > +++++++++++
>

> ¿A qué experimento te refieres?

Hola...

A este que mando como 'attachment', que lo he sacado vía 'Google', buscando
por 'absolute space'. El que yo recordaba era el de un cubo lleno de agua,
girando sobre su eje, colgado de una cuerda. La superficie tomaba la forma
de un paraboloide, lo que medía la velocidad angular, ¿respecto a qué?

Aquí son dos bolas unidas por una cuerda, pero la pregunta es la misma.
¿Respecto a qué?

Saludos

Javier

Newton clearly understood that it was impossible in any absolute way to
determine motion at constant velocity. Motion at constant velocity is meaningful
only as relative motion since there is no experiment you can do to determine if
you are moving at constant velocity or ``at rest.'' But Newton believed in
absolute space relative to which all motion occurred. Newton knew that one
couldn't determine motion at constant velocity relative to absolute space. On
the other hand, he said that it is possible to determine accelerated motion
relative to absolute space. In other words, accelerated motion is absolute. One
example Newton gives to illustrate this point involves an experiment in which
two globes are connected by a string and set in circular motion about the center
of the string. Imagine you are in a totally white room so you have no reference
to see whether or not the globes are rotating. Newton gives a simple
prescription for telling if the spheres are rotating about one another. Cut the
string! If the balls fly apart, they were rotating; if they just sit there, they
were not rotating. The tension in the string is a measure of rotation relative
to absolute space.
Newton's notion of absolute space was questioned by Mach around 1900. Mach gives
a somewhat different scenario. Mach postulates that only relative motion has any
significance. How then does he explain Newton's experiment. Mach states that the
spheres are rotating relative to the fixed stars, which contain most of the mass
in the Universe. If we were able to leave the balls fixed and rotate the stars
in the opposite direction, the relative motion would be the same. According to
Mach, since the relative motion is the same for the two cases and since there
was a tension in the first case (when the spheres were rotating and the stars
fixed), there must be a tension in the second case as well. Of course, according
to Newton, there would be no tension in the second case since the spheres are
not rotating relative to absolute space.
Who's right? Newton or Mach? Einstein was influenced by Mach and believed that
Mach's Principle would be incorporated in his General Theory of Relativity. It
turns out that Mach's Principle is not incorporated into the General Theory,
although there is a small residual effect. This is an experimental question and
the final verdict is still not in, but it appears that Newton's view is closer
to reality than Mach's.
A technical point. Often when I ask students to give an example to show whether
Newton or Mach is right, some students say ``Take two balls on a string and
rotate them in a room - there is tension in the string. Then leave the balls
stationary and rotate the room in the opposite direction. If there is tension in
the string Mach is right.'' This reasoning is wrong, however. The entire
relative motion of the spheres to the Universe must be the same. Since most of
the mass of the Universe is in the fixed stars, it is the motion relative to the
fixed stars that is relevant.