-----Original Message-----
From: owner-skeptic en listproc.hcf.jhu.edu
[mailto:owner-skeptic en listproc.hcf.jhu.edu] On Behalf Of Ludwig Krippahl
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 11:14 AM
To: skeptic en listproc.hcf.jhu.edu
Subject: Help with indigo stuff

Hi everyone,

I'm still waiting for a reply from a Dr. Nelson Lima, who was quoted on the
indigo children article, but meanwhile I've been trying to find out more
about him, and he's starting to look like a quack.

On his website (Institute for Intelligence) there are a few red flags, like
offering tests of "spiritual intelligence", a mental anti-aging treatment
based on the Chopra method, and stuff like that.

He claims a PhD in Psychological Research, but it seems his PhD is honoris
causa, from Bircham International University, an unaccredited (I think...
at least according to the Michigan state list of unaccredited institutions)
distance-learning institution (doctor honoris causa for academic merits and
excellent career):

http://www.bircham.edu/english/honors.swf

He never mentions where he got his college degree, and I found no
information on publications, and such.

He also claims to be an "expert" in Neuropsicology and Medical "Hipnology",
from an IEBI in Spain. I don't know what that IEBI stands for, and couldn't
find it on the web.

Finally, he claims membership of the National Academy of Neuropsychology

http://nanonline.org/

and American Psychological Society:

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/

among others.

These two have a membership directorate, but it's only accessible to
members.

What I'd like to know is if he is really a member of either of these, and
if his CV is available from these associations. His full name is Nelson
Manuel Carvalho Silva Lima; if anyone here is a member of these
associations and could take a look, I'd appreciate it.

I'm not sure how ethical this is -- the information is reserved to members
for some reason, I guess -- but among academics, the CV is hardly
confidential information, and it's suspiscious of him never to even hint at
where he studied, other than mentioning his PhD from Bircham.

Anyway, my objective is to find out how quacky he is without antagonizing
the fellow -- I'm not sure he'll even reply to my questions about his views
on that article, and if I pop one asking about his credentials, he might
just get offended or something (nothing that would offend the normal
scientists, who really enjoy talking about themselves, but quacks may take
issue with this...).

Thank you all in advance,
Best wishes,
Ludi
    Ludwig Krippahl                   CQFB/CENTRIA      FCT-UNL

       "Truth is something we can attempt to doubt,
        and then perhaps, after much exertion, discover
        that part of the doubt is unjustified."
        Niels Bohr