De: owner-escepticos@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-escepticos@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
En nombre de Rodolfo del Moral
Enviado el: jueves, 09 de junio de 2005 11:48
Para: escepticos@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Asunto: RE: [escepticos] My two cents

 Otra interpretación ;-)) ¿Por qué siempre ocurre esto con las frases?

 "Put my two cents in" originates from the older "put my two bits in"
and has its origin in the game of poker.  When playing poker you have to
make a small bet before the cards are dealt called an "ante" to begin
play in that hand.

This phrase draws an analogy to the poker ante (two bits) and gains your
entry into the conversation.

Thanks to Evelyn and Dawn Rambin and Ron Akers

Two bits means one quarter (currently the American twenty five cent
piece). This comes from the older term "piece of eight".

Today we have coins minted in different denominations - nickel, dime,
and quarter in the U.S. - but this was not always so.  Gold and silver
coins once served as currency, with the value of the coin equal to the
value of the gold or silver contained in the coin.  To obtain currency
valued at less
than a full gold coin, coins would be scored and split into pieces.
This
is how one would make change so to speak.

Coins could be split into halfs, quarters, and eighths.  One eighth of a
coin was called a "piece of eight" and also called a "bit".  Two pieces
of
eight is equal to one quarter.   Hence "two bits" is a quarter.

Thanks to William M. Gatesman and Michael Welzien

Hence "Smashed to bits" literally means to break something into eighths.

 Un saludo,

                                  Rodolfo del Moral

 P.D. Me gusta más esta, aunque no puedo evitar pensar que dos piezas de
a ocho no son un cuarto, sino dos dólares, por lo que no me termino de
fiar mucho...