Subject: {MPML} "Bad Astronomy" on Coast to Coast AM
Date: Lunes, 5 de Julio de 2004 16:35
From: Richard Kowalski <rak en bitnik.com>
To: MPML <mpml en yahoogroups.com>

That show about UFOs, Big Foot, the Chupacabra and many hours of
pseudo-science is going to provide three hours of "Bad Astronomy" once again
this evening.

Tonight's "Bad Astronomy" will actually be good astronomy, with the
appearance once again of Phil Plait, "The Bad Astronomer". Phil is also an
MPML member. Luckily, the show is bringing more legitimate scientists on the
air but never enough to combat all the crap that they do put on the air.
Phil is one of the legitimate scientists brave enough to combat the cranks
on air. A number of MPML members have gotten on the show in the past.

Phil is a breath of fresh air when he is on and afforded some time to discuss
the issues as he he being afforded tonight. The show's website is
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/ and starts around 5 UT tonight. Phil will be
on for the last three hours of the show starting at 6 UT. The show can be
listened to via radio, or for those outside the listening area, you can find
a radio station's website that streams the show over the internet.
[http://www.coasttocoastam.com/info/wheretolisten.html]

(Just be aware that the show has 10 minute breaks on the hour and half hour,
so you will find gaps in the audio for news and commercials during those
breaks...)

Tonight's topics are to be Mars and Saturn, but maybe Phil will be able to
squeeze in a bit of legitimate information about asteroids and comets...
NEOs are a regular subject discussed on the show. Unfortunately the topic
isn't intelligently discussed very often and there is continued confusion as
to why objects are discovered with little warning or after their closest
approach the Earth, with it being implied that this is a dangerous thing...

There is also a regular theme that if an object is discovered on an impact
course, that it would be kept a secret by a conspiracy of "top level
astronomers". I guess that I am included in the conspiracy as I'd have to
eliminate any posts to the otherwise! [I'd elaborate more, but then I'd have
to kill you... ;) ]

I was hoping to call in tonight and try to get on air so I could bring up
asteroids and NEOs, but have an early morning flight lesson to give
tomorrow, so I won't be able to do this. Hopefully some other MPML members
can try to get through and talk rocks with Phil on the air!

Cheers

--
Richard Kowalski

Yahoo! Groups Links