Date sent:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 07:42:32 -0500
Send reply to:  Medical Physics Mailing List <MEDPHYS en LISTS.WAYNE.EDU>
From:           Jeff Limmer <JEFFL en WAUSHOSP.ORG>
Subject:        Junk Science
To:             Multiple recipients of list MEDPHYS <MEDPHYS en LISTS.WAYNE.EDU>

The discussions regarding the article on the Low Dose danger
reminds me of this episode regarding junk science:

A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater
Idaho Falls Science Fair, April 26. He was attempting to show how
conditioned we have become to alarmists practicing junk science and
spreading fear of everything in our environment. In his project he
urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total
elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide."

And for plenty of good reasons, since:

      1. it is found to cause excessive sweating and
         vomiting
      2. it is a major component in acid rain
      3. it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
      4. accidental inhalation can kill you
      5. it contributes to erosion
      6. it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
      7. it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer
         patients

He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical.

       Forty-three (43) said yes,
       six (6) were undecided,
       and only one (1) knew that the chemical was water.

The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?"

I think we all know the answer...

Jeff Limmer
Radiation Oncology Physicist
Regional Cancer Center
333 Pine Ridge Blvd.
Wausau, Wisconsin  54401-4120

e-mail: JEFFL en waushosp.org
phone: 800/283-2881 x. 53089
phone: 715/847-2867
fax: 715/847-2319

FFFFFFF TTTTTTT BBBBB   Ferran Tarrasa Blanes
F          T    B    B  tarrasa en inte.upc.es
FFF        T    BBBBB   http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/2352
F          T    B    B
F          T    BBBBB   Institut de Tecniques Energetiques
                        Dept. Fisica i Enginyeria Nuclear
                        Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya
                        Av. Diagonal 647     Fax: (34-3) 401 71 49
                        08028 Barcelona      SPAIN

*  "Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence"  *
*      David Hume, 1748                                  *