[escepticos] RV: TT

-----Original Message-----
De: James Randi <JamesRandi en compuserve.com>
Para: Star List <WIZARDS-STAR-LIST en SSR.COM>
Fecha: miércoles 1 de abril de 1998 20:14
Asunto: TT

THE ROSA EXCITEMENT!

The news this morning is full of material on Emily Rosa's TT test,
published in the JAMA.

It is also full of objections from TT proponents, including Dolores
Krieger, who originated TT back in 1972.  She objects that Emily did not
use the right practitioners to test.

Well, both the Rosas and this office have tried repeatedly over the past
few years to obtain ANY sort of response from Krieger.  She has
consistently refused to respond.  She was personally invited to serve as a
subject of tests, but by her silence, declined.

Ms. Krieger is quoted in the New York Times of today, saying that "no one
would co-operate with Mr. Randi because his experiment was 'stupid and
ill-advised.  The man is a magician.  I hate to be mean,but a magician is a
manipulator.'"  Dolores, you smooth talker, you! I can't argue with your
opinion that my experiment was "stupid," but it was not at all
"ill-advised."  I made it all up my myself.  And what was this "stupid"
experiment?  We (the Glickmans, both registered nurses, provided the venue
in Philadelphia) had a subject -- chosen by the practitioner -- seated at a
table, tossing a coin to decide whether or not the arm would go into an
opaque fiberglass sleeve fastened to a table top.  The first 20 tests were
done "open."  That meant that the practitioner could see whether the arm
was inserted or not.  She got 20 out of 20 correct, not to our surprise --
but that was to establish that she could successfully do the "feeling of
the HEF" under those conditions.  The next 20 trials were done "blind,"
with only the person behind an opaque screen knowing the state of the arm.
That was monitored by no-monitor TV.  She got 11 out of 20 correct.  Asked
to continue, she declined.

Dolores Krieger, what's wrong with that test?  As with the Rosa test, it's
simple, straightforward, inexpensive, definitive, and scientific.  The
results are immediately evident.  Ms. Krieger, do YOU have a better test?
I know that you'll read this, but will you respond?  I think not.

The fact is that TT CAN BE TESTED!  It's a simple claim, and it's used by
thousands of medical personnel all over the world.  Emily Rosa tested it,
and got negative results.  We at the JREF stand prepared to conduct tests
that meet the approval of the practitioners (attention, Dolores Krieger!)
so long as such tests are double-blind and definitive.  We await a
response.

We believe that the medical community have the means, the skill, the
expertise, and the OBLIGATION to conduct proper tests of this and other
"alternative healing" modalities.  We demand that they do so, or it will be
perceived that they have failed to meet their responsibities, and have
decided to allow quackery to continue in the USA.

We are of the opinion that Therapeutic Touch is a myth, and we're putting
up our money.  The 2000 Club prize money is now backed by US$1,000,000 in
agency securities -- immediately negotiable instruments -- held in
a special Prize Account for this specific purpose held by Goldman Sachs,
New York.

And, as an official announcement, we've decided to declare the 2000 Club
Prize to be an even one million dollars.  It's tidyer and easier that
way....

                                        James Randi