Re: [escepticos] RE: Bill Gates

  Hola:

> Basta Bill hacer anuncios tipo "vaporware" (como a veces creo que lo ha
> hecho), y que inmediatamente desestimula a cualquier otro que
> potencialmente estaba pensando hacerlo.

  Les paso esto, de ZDNet.

Vapor: Where?
By Mary Jo Foley
May 20, 1998
Sm en rt Reseller

 An issue at the heart of the myriad legal suits with which Microsoft has
found itself surrounded of late is vaporware.

 To Micro'oft's credit, it is making efforts to attack the vapor problem
head-on. To its detriment, it's going about this in some very questionable
ways.

 The Software Publishers Association, Caldera, Sun are documenting
instances when Microsoft's promised but answered products and features --
a.k.a. vaporware -- have affected negatively Microsoft's competitors. The
SPA made prohibitions against vaporware one of the eight software industry
principles of competition that the company proposed publicly earlier this
year. A good chunk of Caldera's continuing private legal antitrust case
against Microsoft revolves around the negative impact that Microsoft's
vaporish MS-DOS 4.0 had on Caldera's DR-DOS product. And, even though Sun
has not made vaporware claims part of its ongoing Java suit, it wouldn't
be much of a stretch to say that Microsoft's compatibility, purity and
interoperability claims regarding Visual J++ are likely to figure
prominently as the case moves forward.

 As these suits suggest, vaporware is not a matter to be taken lightly. It
has driven more than one software developer and reseller out of business,
as we note in this week's Sm en rt Reseller cover story. Microsoft is only
one of many offenders; just about every big industry player can be
accused. Because the problem is so severe and widespread, proposed
solutions shouldn't be quick fixes.

 Microsoft officials say they are taking the vaporware bull by the horns
by making product upgrades more frequent and less all-encompassing and by
attempting to plug date and feature leaks. Both of these strategies sound
admirable until you think them through.

 Microsoft, Novell and other software vendors have been talking for years
about making software available on a subscription basis. Microsoft already
does this to some extent with its Microsoft Developers Network CDs. But
with resellers and their customers already complaining of upgrade
overload, will many people want to receive their operating systems
piecemeal over a period of months or years? True, it will help avoid the
current problem of gargantuan OS releases slipping by months, if not
years. But how are companies supposed to digest and manage this process?
If Microsoft has a solution, it has not shared yet.

 Then there's the issue of stopping product rumors before they start. As a
journalist, this one really hits close to home. Part of our trade is
finding out about products before vendors have a chance to "spin" them. As
a result, many in the industry say we are a big contributor to the
vaporware problem.

 In recent months, Microsoft has tried the tack of not releasing ship date
information publicly until the product is within three months of shipping.
Under this regime, while the handful of companies lucky enough to
participate in activities like the NT 5.0 Rapid Deployment Program will be
privy to dates, most developers, resellers and users will not. Although
Microsoft has not stated how or if it will punish those who are caught
leaking dates, the threat of losing NDA privileges on key products could
be enough to restrict further the product information flow.

 Select a Search Option
 Search     for  Sort by Relevance Date                For magazine
subscription savings, risk-free trial issues, newsletters, and more, click
here!

Copyright (c) 1998 ZDNet. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in
part in any form or medium without express written permission of ZDNet is
prohibited. ZDNet and the ZDNet logo are trademarks of Ziff-Davis
Publishing Company.

Víctor R. Ruiz                rvr en idecnet.com
    Agrupación Astronómica de Gran Canaria
   Sociedad de Meteoros y Cometas de España
 Asociación de Variabilistas de España - AVE
info.astro  http://www.astrored.org/infoastro
http://ccdis.dis.ulpgc.es:8086/AAGC/aagc.html