[escepticos] RV: Report

Siempre merece la pena saber qué hace la gente por ahí...

javier armentia.

De: James Randi <JamesRandi en compuserve.com>

I just returned from the UK.  Very successful lectures at Cardiff, Oxford,
and Liverpool.  And I got to spend valuable time with Richard Dawkins and
Lalla.  New and valued friends.  See?  I told you I get to meet really
super people in my line of work.

While in the UK, I felt some chest pains that I managed to ignore, but on
return I was told that they were the result of a blocked artery, so I went
in and had that flushed out.  All is well, and  I'll be back at work after
a short hiatus -- which I deserve.  So there.

While I was in Cardiff, I appeared with Uri Geller (remember him?) on a
late-night TV show.  He was in London, about the right distance, I feel.
He told the show host that he wouldn't try for the JREF million-dollar
prize because he didn't trust me.  So, just to relieve Mr. Geller's anxiety
over that point, I've asked Dr. Richard Wiseman, a prominent UK
parapsychologist -- and an amateur conjuror -- along with Dr. John Beloff,
president emeritus of the Parapsychology Association -- a very respected
member of the profession -- if they would agree to conduct a test of Mr.
Geller's powers, on behalf of the JREF million-dollar offer, without my
being involved in anything but approval of the protocol.  They've agreed,
so now there is nothing  standing in the way of Mr. Geller being tested for
the million-dollar prize!  An exciting prospect indeed!  We only await Mr.
Geller's naming of a date for this event.

Of the thirteen applicants in the UK for the Pigasus Prize, only two were
contacted.  One failed at doing a "reading" because she said she needed to
be continually prompted and corrected, which is essentially the "20
Questions" game.  I'm sure that she still believes she has powers, but the
guessing game/fishing expedition she showed us was hardly good evidence.
The JREF will be preparing a printed transcript of this encounter, and
copies may be had on request.  Give us a couple of weeks.

The other claimant was tested in Glasgow, by a volunteer group from the the
Scottish Parapsychological Association, at my request and through the
courtesy of Dr. John Beloff.  She was to read ESP cards, but showed no
talent at the task, in the opinion of those who tested her.

More anon.  Catching up on 16 days of mail and phone calls.  Sigh.

                                James Randi.
James Randi Educational Foundation
201 SE 12th St. (Davie Blvd.),
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316-1815