[escepticos] [Fwd: Welcome to SKEPTICS MAG HOTLINE]

Por si fuese de interés, ahí va esto que acabo de recibir.

Saludos,

JM

--- Begin Message ---
     "I have made a ceaseless effort not to ridicule, not to bewail,
      not to scorn human actions, but to understand them."
                                                   --Baruch Spinoza

Welcome to SKEPTIC MAG HOTLINE, the weekly voice of Skeptic magazine
and the Skeptics Society. Skeptic magazine, the 112-page quarterly,
glossy magazine featuring in-depth research articles, analytical
essays, original interviews, book reviews, news, and forum, is the
voice of the Skeptics Society.

The Skeptics Society is a scientific and educational organization of
scholars, scientists, historians, magicians, professors and teachers,
and anyone curious about controversial ideas, extraordinary claims,
revolutionary ideas and the promotion of science.

SKEPTIC MAG ONLINE is designed to bring you weekly updates of what we
are doing. These will include media updates, critiques and commentary
on current events, ongoing investigations, upcoming lectures at the
Skeptics Society Caltech Lecture Series, updates on our annual
conference, what's scheduled for the next issue of the magazine, and
other timely information.

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD! Tell your critically thinking friends and
colleagues about SKEPTIC MAG HOTLINE. Joining is FREE. To subscribe,
just send an e-mail to join-skeptics en lyris.net (to "unsubscribe",
send an e-mail to leave-skeptics en lyris.net). Note: we do NOT release
the e-mail addresses of members to any other organizations.

  to Skeptic magazine. Learn what the world's leading scientists and
  experts have to say. Read investigative reports on pseudoscience,
  succinct summaries of both sides of contemporary controversies, and
  guides for further investigation. Skeptic magazine devotes more
  space to opposing views than any other forum for reader's responses.
  Skeptic also provides reviews of noteworthy books and articles of
  related interest. Skeptic is a must read for curious minds.

  Some of the comments we've receieved from Skeptic Magazine readers:

  "...the best journal in the field."
  --Stephen Jay Gould, Harvard University

  "...stimulating and provocative..."
  --Carl Sagan, Cornell University

  "...a first rate job promoting...science & rationality"
  --John Rennie, Editor-in-Chief, Scientific American

  "One of the top 10 best new publications.''
  --Library Journal

  "clearly superior...gutsy!"
  --Edward O. Wilson, Harvard University, winner of two Pulitzer prizes

  "Skeptic kicks ass."
  --Penn Jillette of "Penn & Teller"

  Each issue of Skeptic covers a special theme in depth, and also a
  wide variety of social, scientific, and pseudoscientific
  controversies, written by top experts in the field. There is an
  extensive reader forum feature where our readers can voice their
  ideas at length. Book reviews and a news section keep our readers on
  top of the latest developments in the field. Skeptic is an
  international publication from Millennium Press, also available to
  institutions as well as university, college, and public libraries.
  Skeptic is carried by all major bookstore chains in the U.S. and
  around the world. Special topics have included:

  * Can History be a Science?  * The God Question
  * The Environment  * Evolutionary Psychology  * Evolutionary Ethics
  * Holocaust Revisionism  * Conspiracy Theories  * Cryonics
  * The Recovered Memory Movement  * Evolution & Creationism
  * God & Cosmology  * IQ, race & Intelligence  * HIV-AIDS Skeptics
  * Pseudomedicine, such as homeopathy and therapeutic touch

  All our back issues are available. Ask us for a complete list.

  INTERNET SPECIAL: Subscribe to Skeptic magazine and save! Subscribe
  for $25.00 (student rate $20.00) instead of the normal $35.00.
  (Foreign country rates are $45.00 instead of the normal $55.00.)
  Just e-mail your Visa or Mastercard number and expiration date, plus
  your name, address, and phone, and we will do the rest. (You can
  also fax, call, or mail your order. See below for contact info.) The
  Special includes an Automatic Subscription Renewal each year so you
  do not have to bother renewing (just like Internet carriers
  automatically bill customers with their credit card numbers -- the
  wave of the future for all magazines -- and, of course, you can
  cancel any time).

  In addition to our lecture and conference speakers and the cutting
  edge articles in Skeptic Magazine, we also maintain a catalogue of
  scientific and skeptical books that are discounted for members. Get
  the facts, sharpen your debating skills and deepen your knowledge of
  modern controversies

---------------------+
  SKEPTICS IN PERSON
+---------------------

* Caltech Lecture Series

  The Skeptics Society sponsors a monthly lecture series at the
  California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, California. If
  you're not local to Southern California, the lecture tapes are
  available in both audio and video for a modest fee.

* Annual Skeptics Society Conference

  Every year we also host a scientific conference centered around a
  major theme. The conference is especially popular with out-of-
  towners who enjoy the opportunity to exchange ideas with other like-
  minded individuals and the opportunity to meet the conference
  speakers.

* Less formal meetings

  The Skeptics Society also sponsors social events to allow members to
  meet and mingle, and conducts scientific trips for research and
  educational purposes. We host an annual awards ceremony recognizing
  outstanding contributions to the cause of critical thinking and the
  promotion of science.

  we do welcome tax-deductible donations. Your donation dollar goes a
  long way since we are volunteer organization with very low overhead.

---------------------------------+
  OTHER ONLINE SKEPTIC RESOURCES
+---------------------------------

  Our award-winning Web site includes sample articles from Skeptic
  magazine, a very active discussion area, and more. Join us at
  <http://www.skeptic.com/>.  We also have an FTP server at
  <ftp://ftp.skeptic.com/pub/skeptic>

  manuscripts, and correspondence should be addressed to:

  Skeptic, P.O. Box 338, Altadena CA 91001.

  Our Phone: 626/794-3119, Fax: 626/794-1301
  E-Mail: skepticmag en aol.com

Thank you for your interest in the Skeptic Society. As we are
primarily subscription supported your interest and (hopefully)
support is greatly appreciated in our efforts to combat
irrationality and pseudoscience in space and cyberspace, in reality
and virtual reality.

Michael Shermer
Publisher, Skeptic magazine
Director, Skeptics Society
Author, WHY PEOPLE BELIEVE WEIRD THINGS
Adjunct Professor, History of Science, Occidental College

--- End Message ---