Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 01:19:40 +0200
From: Hegedus Tibor <hege en electra.bajaobs.hu>
To: jagerz en electra.bajaobs.hu
Subject: [vsnet 1813] Third Announcement - a PhD Conference

To every possibly
interested collagues,
junior and senior
variable star astronomers!

The organization of August 16-19, 1999 PhD conference,
which title is "Back to the future..." continues.

Since we have received many worrying mails concerning the
Yugoslavian war, the Local Organizing Committee considered
to be very important to inform everybody about the local conditions!

                                  * * *

THERE ARE NOT EITHER ANY KIND OF WAR OR EVEN A
LEAST POLITICAL INSTABILITY IN HUNGARY! Everything is
going in the normal ways. The only changes from the previous
situation that one can hear the NATO aircrafts sometimes.

We are very sorry about a Southern ethnical tragedy, the exodus,
and also sorry for good Serbian civil people, who also live very bad
days in life danger - owing to the crazy political decisions in both
sides. Everybody should know, e.g. that several days ago, there
were a bomb which has blown up just 300 m away from the
Beograd Astronomical Observatory! Fortunately, there were not
any hurts of civils that time. The natural scientists can hardly
understand these human behaviours just before the 2nd millennium.

Please, everybody feel free to come to Kecskemét in August. We
do not live in even the smallest danger, so you will not be in danger,
as well! The distance scale, you see in the CNN and other reports
about Serbian-Kosovo affair, seemingly relatively not so far from us,
comparing to the typical distances of India, or rather U.S. However,
Serbia is another country, with safe border. kosovo is many
hundred km away from here. European people are knowing, that
the European borders (even of Serbia) are safe and considered as
"taboo" for every nations... Moreover, Hungary itself is directly not
taking part in this NATO action, so we do not have sharp
opposition to Serbia. There is also some hope that the war will be
finished before our conference.

                               * * *

For the latest information, please, visit our conference web site:

	http://www.bajaobs.hu/cski/phdconf/phdconf.htm

                               * * *