  Aquí va el hilo completo de linux-kernel.

From: Ron Flory <ron.flory en adtran.com>
Linus Torvalds wrote:

> We're obviously not going to have a 2.4 this millenium, but let's
> get the pre-2.4 series going this year, with the real release Q1
> of 2000.

 Huh?  Contrary to popular misconceptions, the year 2000 is actually the
LAST year of this millennium.  After Dec 31 1999 we will have completed
1999 full years.  Jan 1 2001 is the first day of the next millennium.

  Most desk calendars have a couple of pages on this subject hidden at
the bottom of the stack.

 Anyway, looking forward to 2.4 before the end of the millennium.  ;)

From: torvalds en transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds)
In article <3857A0EB.795802E9 en adtran.com>,
Ron Flory  <ron.flory en adtran.com> wrote:

> Huh?  Contrary to popular misconceptions, the year 2000 is actually the
>LAST year of this millennium.  After Dec 31 1999 we will have completed
>1999 full years.  Jan 1 2001 is the first day of the next millennium.

Contrary to popular misconceptions, PEOPLE DON'T CARE!

The fact that our forefathers were Pascal-programmers, and started
counting from one does not mean that we have to continue that mistake
forever.  We've since moved on to C, and the change from 1999->2000 is a
counting from one does not mean that we have to continue that mistake
lot more interesting in a base-10 system than the change from
2000->2001.

The reference point of our timekeeping is based on an event where the
uncertainty about the timing is much more than a year, and was made up
several hundred years AFTER the fact.  As such, if you want to be a
stickler, you might as well say that the next millenium may have started
several years ago.

So please stop sending me email.  You don't have to celebrate if you
don't want to.  But let the rest of the world who doesn't care about
silly irrelevant details (what's a millenium to you anyway) just go on
with our life.

                Linus

PS. NEXT year I may agree with you. I'll join the ranks of people with
no life but the ability to count in another 360 days or so. But that's
mainly in order to have an excuse to go out to town.

From: Kristian Koehntopp <kris en koehntopp.de>
In netuse.lists.linux-kernel you write:
>The fact that our forefathers were Pascal-programmers, and started
>counting from one does not mean that we have to continue that mistake
>forever.  We've since moved on to C, and the change from 1999->2000 is a
>lot more interesting in a base-10 system than the change from
>2000->2001.

Consequently, we wish you a Happy New Year on 0.0.2000. :-)

Kristian

Víctor R. Ruiz               rvr en ulpgc.es
División de Comunicaciones
Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria