Como hacer dinero: seguros contra supersticiones

        Es posible que los escepticos seamos muy pesados insistiendo
en los aspectos economicos de ciertas creencias, pero es que hay
cada cosa... como es posible que 4000 personas hayan comprado
seguros contra abducciones?  Si a un grupo de 39 les cobraron
1000 $ por un an~o, esta compan~ia debe -debia- estar recaudando
unos 14 millones de pesetas/an~o explotando estas paranoias... pero
es que tambien aseguran contra concepciones inmaculadas,
transformaciones a vampiros, etc...
        Si la "verdad" sobre los ovnis no sale a la luz no sera
por culpa del capital. Leed para creer.

	Santi

Company abandons alien insurance policy following suicides
April 2, 1997
6.35 a.m. EST (1135 GMT)

LONDON (AP) -- The company that insured the 39 members of the Heaven's
Gate cult against abduction by aliens said today it stopped writing new
policies after the group's mass suicide last week.

The cult members paid $1,000 on Oct. 10 for a policy that covered up to
50 members and would pay out $1 million per person for abduction,
impregnation or death caused by aliens.

"Because of the manipulation of malevolent third parties, innocent lives
were wrecked,'' managing director Simon Burgess said today. "I am deeply
shocked and saddened, and that's why we're withdrawing from the market.
... We don't wish to contribute to a repetition of the Heaven's Gate
deaths.''

He said the group discovered his company provided alien abduction
insurance via the Internet.

The 39 took their own lives last week at a home on the outskirts of San
Diego, Calif., seeking redemption in a spaceship they believed was
trailing the Hale-Bopp comet.

The beneficiary of the policy was the Society of Heaven's Gate, said
Burgess, a Lloyd's of London insurance broker who is managing director
of the brokerage Goodfellow Rebecca Ingrams Pearson.

He said the cult had paid the premium and the annual policy remains in
force until Oct. 9. "They would have to prove that they were abducted,''
he added.

Last summer, the company added alien abduction insurance to the unusual
policies it offers, which Burgess said account for 10 percent of its
overall business.

Heaven's Gate was one of 4,000 policyholders worldwide who bought alien
abduction insurance, he said, adding that Britain and the United States
were the biggest markets.

The policies against alien abduction will not be renewed when they
lapse, Burgess said, but the company continues to offer other unusual
policies.

"We insure virgins against immaculate conception, prostitutes against
loss of earnings from headache and backache, conversion to a werewolf or
vampire, death or serious injury through paranormal activity and
unfaithful husbands'' against having their penis cut off, he said.

---------- End of message ----------