Re: [escepticos] Fijaos que curioso lenguaje.

A2020 en correo.dis.ulpgc.es wrote:

>         Efectivamente,mandar la firma a dicha lista no servira de
> mucho,porque los tlibanes se van a pasar dicah lista por donde yo me se,pero
> de todas formas,aque le hiciesen caso tampoco serviria de mucho.

Pues por si es del interés de vuestras mercedes, he aquí el
comunicado que emitió anteayer Amnistía Internacional al respecto.

¿Hace una carta denuncia a los principales periódicos?

* News Release Issued by the International Secretariat of Amnesty
International *
News Service:034/99
AI INDEX: ASA 11/03/99

PUBLIC STATEMENT

AFGHANISTAN

HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSES AGAINST WOMEN

In recent months a petition in support of women's rights in Afghanistan
has been circulated by the National Organisation for Women in the USA.
While welcoming any initiatives highlighting the plight of women in
Afghanistan, Amnesty International does not as a matter of principle
endorse statements that do not fall strictly within its mandate.

In solidarity with this worldwide campaign to promote women's rights,
Amnesty International is reiterating today its position on the issue --
based on corroborated evidence of the human rights situation in
Afghanistan -- which may in part differ from the above mentioned
petition.

Amnesty International has continuously brought the plight of Afghan
women to the attention of the international community and has urged
armed groups as well as countries supporting them to acknowledge their
responsibility for human rights violations in Afghanistan and end the
cycle of abuses there.

Scores of women have been abducted and raped by members of the various
political factions, often being treated as the spoils of war. Thousands
of women have been indiscriminately killed in fighting between opposing
sides in the conflict, and hundreds of thousands of women and children
have been displaced or forced to flee the country as a result of
systematic human rights abuses.

In recent years, the Taleban have imposed a new form of repression
against women in Kabul, Herat, Kandahar and other areas they control.
The situation of women in these areas deserves special attention by the
international community.

Tens of thousands of women remain restricted to their homes under
Taleban edicts banning them from seeking employment, education or
leaving home unaccompanied by a male relative. Other measures
restricting women include the closure of women's hammams (public baths).
Women are also barred from the streets for certain periods during the
fasting month of Ramadan.

These restrictions have been enforced through the use of cruel, inhuman
and degrading punishments and ill-treatment including the beating of
women by Taleban guards in detention centres or in public places.

Amnesty International welcomes any move to restore Afghan women's rights
to education, employment, gender equality and access to health
facilities and will continue to consider women detained or physically
restricted on account of their gender as prisoners of conscience.

The organization fully supports any initiative seeking to highlight the
flagrant abuse of women's human rights in Afghanistan, and which
recognises the vital role that the international community can play in
bringing such abuses to an end.

Background
Amnesty International takes no position on the question of recognition
of any party or government but calls on all armed political groups in
Afghanistan to respect fundamental human rights, in accordance with
international human rights standards and the principles of humanitarian
law.

Governments with a vested interest in Afghanistan who appear to provide
military support to the warring factions must accept responsibility for
fuelling human rights abuses. Governments which provide political and
material support to Afghanistan's warring factions should hold leaders
of armed groups to account for the human rights abuses committed against
women in Afghanistan.

However, responsibility to end the suffering of Afghan women is not
confined to governments directly involved in the country. In September
1995, at the Fourth UN World Conference on Women, governments of the
world committed themselves to ensuring the full implementation of the
human rights of women and of the girl child as an inalienable, integral
and indivisible part of all human rights and fundamental freedoms.

In the Beijing Declaration they pledged their determination "to advance
the goals of equality, development and peace for all women everywhere in
the interest of all humanity". It is now their chance to enforce respect
for women's human rights in Afghanistan.

[See Women in Afghanistan: A human rights catastrophe (ASA 11/03/95),
May 1995; Women in Afghanistan: The violations continue (ASA 11/05/97),
June 1997]
ENDS.../
Amnesty International, International Secretariat, 1 Easton Street,
WC1X 8DJ, London, United Kingdom
message
body. If you have problem signing off, contact <owner-amnesty-L en oil.ca>
Past and current Amnesty news services can be found at
http://www.amnesty.org/news/

Saludos

Javier Marí
jamc en ctv.es
"Tal vez no estemos aquí para alabar a dios, sino para crearlo"

						A. C. Clarke