RE: [escepticos] Cambios en el FAQ

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Hercor Walter Navarro <hwnavarro en abogados-rosario.org.ar>
Para: escepticos en ccdis.dis.ulpgc.es <escepticos en ccdis.dis.ulpgc.es>
Fecha: sábado, 25 de septiembre de 1999 6:33
Asunto: Re: [escepticos] Cambios en el FAQ

Héctor escribió:

>Pero, en una clara muestra de avidez, promocionaban un remedio, (el
>Gerovital)  que nunca demostró servir para aliviar los achaques de la
>ancianidad pero que se distribuía por todo el mundo. Tal vez alguien de
>esta corrala sepa de qué se trataba el Gerovital, pero barrunto que
>sería algo así como una marca de jalea real que tuvo mucho éxito en la
>Argentina.

Esto es lo que al parecer contiene el gerovital:

"Chemically, GH-3, which is an injectable treatment, is made of procaine
hydrochloride mixed with potassium metabisulfate, disodium phosphate, and
benzoic acid. Procaine breaks down in the body into PABA (paraminobenzoic
acid), a B vitamin, and DEAE (diethylaminoethanol), which is chemically
similar to DMAE and is converted in the cells into choline.
PABA aids the body in blood-cell formation, protein metabolism, and skin
functions. A deficiency of PABA can cause constipation, depression,
digestive disorders, stress, infertility, fatigue, gray hair, headaches, and
irritability. PABA stimulates the intestinal bacterial system to produce the
B vitamins folic acid, pantothenic, and biotin, and vitamin K. PABA is
rapidly disposed of by the liver, so ingesting it alone can get
disappointing results. However, when combined with the procaine
hydrochloride molecule, PABA is more effective.
DEAE has an antidepressant effect. DEAE comprises choline and acetylcholine,
which make up important neurotransmitters that facilitate brain functioning.
"

Lo anterior está recogido de
http://www.smartbasic.com/glos.drugs/gerovital.gh3.glos.html que es una
página de propaganda del gerovital, así que lo que diga se debe poner
lógicamente en cuarentena. Por otro lado, en
http://www.gh3.co.uk/aboutGH3_1.htm, otra página destinada a cantar las
excelencias del producto, se dice:

"The active ingredient of Gerovital H3 is procaine. Procaine is a local
anaesthetic first synthesised in 1905 by Alfred Einhorn a German scientist.
It was used and preferred for minor surgery, dentistry and procedures near
the surface of the skin. It numbed the area, broke down quickly and soon
left the system. It produced no side effects and showed few allergic
consequences. As with many scientific discoveries, the regenerative
potentials of procaine came to light by accident. Over the years, physicians
using it reported unusual and unexpected effects in patients. Arthritis
sometimes would improve, hair would re-grow or recolor, and skin quality
often would improve. These reports came for the most part from surgeons, who
were not particularly interested in gerontology.
Ana Aslan, MD was a Doctor of the National Institute of Gerontology and
Geriatrics in Romania. She was the first to seriously investigate the
possibilities of procaine as a tool in the fight against ageing. Dr Aslan
recognised that procaine in a sense "attacks" the body's cells by numbing
them. The body counterattacks with the enzyme cholinesterase. Cholinesterase
hydrolyses the procaine and in about one hour (66`+-14`). Dr Aslan
speculated that the compound could be stabilised so that it would not numb
the cells. The body would not then reject it and the regenerative effects
would be extended.
This notion launched her on a research mission lasting two years. In 1951
she had perfected a procaine product called Gerovital H3 (often called G.H.3
for short). It contained antioxidants and stabilising agents. Once
stabilised, the procaine molecule could not react with the same speed in the
cells. The numbness did not occur and the cholinesterase was not called up.
The resulting compound stayed in the body more than six hours and had no
anaesthetic qualities. Presumably, this magnified any regenerative effects
by a factor of at least six. It also gave the ingredients sufficient time to
reach the organs.
Claims coming out of the Institute's clinics for the next few years were
viewed as outlandish. Patients treated with GH3 supposedly showed
improvements in circulatory function, skin elasticity, ulcers, parkinsonism,
arthritis, hair loss, senility, memory, muscular power, lung capacity and
depression. According to the reports, practically all ageing phenomena
diminished in severity with GH3.
Dr Aslan`s continuing research caught the attention of Gerontologists in
West Germany, who invited her there in 1956. She presented her findings to a
group of her peers in Karlsruhe at the Therapy Congress meeting. The
attendees treated her uncommon claims with scepticism and rejection.
Still convinced of her clinical results, she continued her research in
Romania for another year. This time she filmed all the results. Some months
later, she received tolerant coverage in a respectable West German medical
journal. She was invited back to Karlsrhue where the assembled scientists
gave her a warm response. "

Sería interesante que algún corralero nos indicara estudios que nieguen las
supuestas acciones rejuvenecedoras del gerovital, tal como afirma Héctor, y
cuáles son realmente sus efectos. De ser un timo, me gustaría conocer cómo
contrarrestarlo.

Un saludo

José Alonso