Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 12:07:17 -0400
From: Larry Klaes <lklaes en bbn.com>
Subject: Sagan and Firmage: Not So Perfect Together?

Source: Washington Post

http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/nation/columns/roughdraft/A29525-2000Jul12.
html

***

Sagan and Firmage: Not So Perfect Together?

Joel Achenbach can be reached by e-mail at

achenbachj en washpost.com.

You can find past Rough Draft columns at the archive page.

Wednesday, July 12, 2000; 1:51 PM

**

Carl Sagan is a modern-day hero of science. He inspired millions
of people to ponder the beauty of the universe, and to
understand that we are a tiny, precious fragment of the cosmos.
But he also implored them to be skeptical, to resist
superstition and pseudo-science. Sagan told everyone to keep an
open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out.

Now comes a bit of news that just about knocked me out of my
chair. Joe Firmage, a Silicon Valley millionaire who became a
highbrow UFO guru after he was visited in his bedroom by "a
remarkable being clothed in brilliant white light," has signed a
deal with Ann Druyan, head of Carl Sagan Productions ­ and
Sagan's widow ­ to start a new company that will have a Web
portal and produce science-based entertainment.

I want to resist the urge to start babbling hysterically about
how wrong this is. But I do think the names "Firmage" and
"Sagan" do not belong in the same sentence, unless separated by
an extremely elaborate clause. Sagan promoted science and
scientific thinking. Firmage talks about a bunch of bizarre
stuff that Sagan would have rejected in a heartbeat.

Sagan said aliens probably aren't here. Firmage says they
probably are. It's not a trivial philosophical distinction.

To be fair, Firmage is a cut above 90 percent of the folks who
work in the field of "anomalies." He's incredibly smart. He's
successful, having started the Internet services firm USWeb
before leaving to pursue his UFO interests. He's not crazy. He
doesn't scream or rant. He's a perfectly genial fellow.

He's also ambitious. Firmage has said he wants to start a
movement. Two years ago he pounded out a rambling book, modestly
called "The Truth," and put it up on the Internet, but he's
since taken it down, which means we can't link to the part where
the mysterious entity in his bedroom emits an electric blue
sphere that enter's Firmage's body and triggers "the most
unimaginable ecstasy I have ever experienced, a pleasure vastly
beyond orgasm."

Druyan has been a fierce defender of her husband's legacy. She's
passionate about scientific reasoning. Why would she go into
business with Firmage? How could she do it?

Her answer: the new venture will not allow Firmage to advance
his fringe theories. There is a specific legal agreement that
prevents Firmage from doing so, she said.

"It unequivocably states that if I feel that Carl's legacy has
in any way been besmirched by any statement made in the name of
our company, then I walk and I'll take everything with me.
Nothing less than that can protect the legacy," Druyan told me.

I asked her if this was an unholy alliance. She said no.

"Carl and I worked with a lot of people over the last few
decades who had conventional religious beliefs that in some ways
are as remote from what I believe as what Joe Firmage believes,"
she said.

Firmage said, "I want to tread lightly." But he made clear that
his new media company ­ he'll run the Web portal and Druyan will
head the production studio ­ will deal with the kinds of
theories that interest him.

"Will I use this media company to inequitably promote my view?
No," he said. But he said it would "absolutely" deal,
responsibly, with "science anomalies."

The "historic joint venture," as the press release puts it, is
code-named Project Voyager. It has $23 million in venture
capital behind it. I will admit that despite reading the press
release and talking to Firmage and Druyan I remain a bit fuzzy
on what this company will actually do. The press release calls
it "a new kind of media network that intends to transform
entertainment and learning drawn from the rapidly expanding
knowledge base of science." The production studio will make TV
shows and movies, which will be promoted on the Web site
alongside news articles and other educational material. In the
press release, Druyan says, "There is a hunger for myths, images
and dreams that do justice to our radically altered sense of
who, where and when we are ... And where we might go and who we
might become."

Right.

Firmage will be tempted use his new company to promote his
theories about breakthrough physics. He appears to believe that
a small group of scientists have discovered a heretofore secret
property of the universe that will someday allow us to extract
limitless energy from the "vacuum" of space, cancel the inertial
mass of an object, build faster-than-light spaceships, and zip
around the cosmos at the snap of a finger.

That imminent breakthrough could explain why aliens are here,
snooping around, checking us out. They know we're about to go
galactic. They want to give us the ground rules, maybe.

It's hard to know how much of this Firmage really believes and
how much of it he is merely entertaining with his very open
mind. But if humans and aliens get together soon in a formal
way, Firmage wants to be at the table.

Firmage argues that he believes in science. He says he only goes
where the facts lead him. But I have an unfortunate fact to
report: Everyone working in the world of anomalies ­ of UFOs,
near-death experiences, reincarnation, cattle mutilations, crop
circles, psychokinesis, the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot and so on
­ says exactly the same thing. We're scientific! We're not
crazy! We just want to stick to the facts, and the facts tell us
there are enormous hairy proto-humans lumbering through the
Oregon forests!

Firmage doesn't say that aliens are necessarily here right now.
But he thinks it's "highly likely" that we've been visited at
some point. A small group of people have had knowledge about
this issue for the past fifty years, he said.

"I believe that the most economical explanation for some number
of UFOS is extraterrestrial visitation," he said. "Ann disagrees
with that view. Both of us agree to let science arbitrate."

Firmage has also been talking with The Planetary Society, which
was founded by Sagan in 1980 to increase public support for
space science. Some kind of business deal could be announced at
any time. Firmage offers one thing to the keepers of the Sagan
flame: Money. He has been able to raise tens of millions of
dollars in venture capital. What they offer Firmage, in turn, is
a big shot of credibility.

The SETI Institute, meanwhile, said no to Firmage. All these
groups need the kind of money Firmage has, but they need their
good reputations, too, and SETI, which takes on the already
rather spectacular goal of detecting alien civilizations through
scientific techniques, doesn't need to get mixed up with a UFO
person.

Sagan's longtime friend and colleague, Frank Drake, the head of
the SETI Institute, told me that a deal with Firmage's firm
could have meant sizable streams of revenue coming into his
organization. But it wasn't the right thing to do.

"Any connection with Firmage, no matter what disclaimers you put
on your site, people will take this as an endorsement of the
views of Firmage. This would damage our image in the minds of
many of our scientific colleagues and members of the general
public, including major donors who support us," Drake said.

There is a thought I've clung to as I've ruminated about this
latest move by Firmage. It is that Sagan's legacy isn't up for
grabs, no matter who strikes what deal. Sagan's name can't be
bought. He put his ideas on the record. He wrote books. The
books had readers, and those readers are not stupid.

We know the difference between Carl Sagan and Joe Firmage.

© 2000 The Washington Post Company

----- End forwarded message -----

  Saludetes,

Víctor R. Ruiz               rvr en ulpgc.es
Subdirección de Comunicaciones
Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria