RE: [escepticos] Inesperado

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Luis Alfonso Gámez wrote:

> Ufología conspiranoica pura y dura. Efe ha mandado desde Washington una
> crónica más larga que cualquiera de las que envía para cubrir asuntos
> serios. Cuando ha llegado a mis manos, he alucinado. Y no por lo que dicen
> estos conspiranoicos -de locos está el mundo lleno- sino porque habiendo hoy
> otras noticias realmente interesantes la agencia Efe se dedique a estas
> chorradas.

No haya panico! El Washington Post publica una cronica muy diver del
asunto, la copiopego (en ingles):

-----Empieza copia----

Aliens and UFOs: The Likely Scenario

By Joel Achenbach
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, May 9, 2001; 1:16 PM

A group of people who believe in UFOs held a press conference this morning
that established beyond the shadow of a doubt -- that reached levels of
credibility so high as to constitute actual proof -- that there really do
exist people who believe in UFOs.
This was the big day for the Disclosure Project, an attempt to incite the
government to admit that UFOs are piloted by creatures from another world.
The organizer, a Virginia emergency room physician and UFOlogist named
Steven Greer, announced that this was a moment of historic, indeed
planetary, significance:
"This is the end of the childhood of the human race. It is time for us to
become mature adults among the cosmic civilizations that are out there."
He had arranged an impressive venue, the main ballroom of the National
Press
Club. Upwards of a hundred people filled the room, and a phalanx of more
than a dozen TV cameras documented the proceedings. At the front of the
room, in a line, sat the 20 witnesses, most of them gray-haired men who
had
retired years ago from the military.
As they took turns at the microphone, it became apparent that this was a
rather quaint event -- a return to the fundamentals of UFOlogy, the
discussion of aerial anomalies. At one point a witness flashed two
black-and-white photos of a saucer-shaped craft. The tales were set, for
the
most part, in the Forties, Fifties and Sixties; there was no talk of alien
abductions, or an alien-human hybridization program, or the implantation
of
alien fetuses, or any of the extremely intimate Close Encounters of the
Fifth Kind that have dominated the UFO mythology in recent years.
These guys were from the hardware wing of the movement. They'd seen things
in the sky that they couldn't explain. Objects. Lights. Radar blips moving
at extraordinary speed. What they didn't see, in almost every case, were
any
actual aliens.
Only one witness, Clifford Stone, a retired Army sergeant, professed to
having directly seen an alien. He'd seen bodies at the site of crashed
alien
saucers; some aliens were still alive. Asked if he could describe their
appearance, he said, "I could, but it would probably take a whole lot of
time." There are 57 documented alien species, he said, including three
types
of grays. Many look just like human beings, he said. Some can touch an
object in a dark room and tell its color, he said.
Ideally the press conference will trigger congressional hearings. Greer
says
he has conducted interviews with 400 people with intimate knowledge of the
cover-up of the alien phenomenon. Many are afraid to come forward without
congressional immunity.
"We know lethal force has been used to keep this secret," Greer said.
In the category of what a scientist would consider evidence, the press
conference presented little, if any. The proceedings featured the Argument
from Authority. The message here was that credible people -- people who
are
not kooks -- believe that UFOs contain aliens. These people have good
resumes. Maybe that's not as impressive as someone coming forward with an
actual alien antenna, but it's not trivial.
If nothing else this was an interesting glimpse of human psychology and
the
corrosive side-effects of government secrecy. The witnesses were grave, in
some cases emotional -- they've carried these beliefs for decades.
Collectively they've experienced centuries of suspicion. They've seen
things
that their superiors brushed aside or covered up.
"Such things do exist. Please believe me," said ret. Air Force Lt. Col.
Charles L. Brown, who once analyzed UFO sightings and saw, just two years
ago, "two inexplicable objects."
Graham Bethune, a retired Navy pilot, told of seeing a glow near Iceland
that turned to a circle of lights with a dome. This was 1951. He's ready
testify under oath.
Robert Salas, retired Air Force captain, said a "bright, glowing red
object"
hovered outside the gate of a nuclear weapons site in Montana in 1967. The
weapons suddenly went into a "no-go" condition. Did the aliens disable
them?
The stories keep coming. People make connections. There are people saying
that the Bush administration wants to build a missile defense shield in
order to do battle with the aliens. Who's running this cover-up? Greer
said
there are compartmentalized elements of the secret government operation in
multiple intelligence and defense agencies and throughout corporate
America.
The bad guys are everywhere.
The anxiety grows: What if everything we've been told by our leaders is a
lie?
What if we're all just a bunch of dupes?
How do we KNOW the Apollo astronauts really went to the moon and not just
a Hollywood back lot?
Scientists who work in the esoteric field of "exobiology" would very much
like to find a single scrap of alien life. They'd like to know if life out
there parallels life on Earth. Does alien life also feature DNA, or is
there
some other molecule that fulfills DNA's function? Is it carbon-based? Does
it use oxygen in its metabolism? Did the aliens evolve from simpler life
forms? Does the alien home planet have multiple species that are
intelligent
and technological and self-reflective, or are those traits rare in any
given
biosphere? To what extent does the history of life on Earth follow a
certain
cosmic pattern, and to what extent is it a series of accidents and
low-probability mutations?
Oh . . . sorry. Got off on one of those damn "science" tangents.
We have to decide, as rational people, which is the more likely scenario:
1. Intelligent creatures have piloted spaceships across trillions of miles
they decide to show themselves. Secret forces within our government have
masterfully covered up the alien presence for half a century, duping the
media and the scientific community, although sometimes the cover-up is
imperfect, which is why, at Safeway, you can buy Chef Boyardee Flying
Saucers & Aliens canned pasta. People like Steven Greer, the crusading
emergency room physician, have seen through the lies and are going to help
us reach the era of cosmic brotherhood.
2. Some people believe in things that aren't actually true.
You make the call.
(Rough Draft appears once in a blue moon at washingtonpost.com. To get the
story of the press conference directly from the organizers, go to
www.disclosureproject.org. For a scientific approach to the question of
extraterrestrial intelligence, try www.seti.org.)
---Termina copia----

Lo de las bacterias me ha dejado ya frita del todo... Lo que me faltaba
por oir. Seguro que no has bebido nada, seguro??? ;)

Adela