Source: University Of Washington (< http://www.washington.edu/ >)

Date: Posted 6/12/2001

"I Tawt I Taw" A Bunny Wabbit At Disneyland: New Evidence Shows False
Memories Can Be Created

About one-third of the people who were exposed to a fake print
advertisement that described a visit to Disneyland and how they met and
shook hands with Bugs Bunny later said they remembered or knew the
event happened to them.

The scenario described in the ad never occurred because Bugs Bunny is a
Warner Bros. cartoon character and wouldn't be featured in any Walt
Disney Co. property, according to University of Washington memory
researchers Jacquie Pickrell and Elizabeth Loftus. Pickrell will make
two
presentations on the topic at the annual meeting of the American
Psychological Society (APS) on Sunday (June 17) in Toronto and at a
satellite session of the Society for Applied Research in Memory and
Cognition in Kingston, Ontario, on Wednesday.

"The frightening thing about this study is that it suggests how easily a
false
memory can be created," said Pickrell, UW psychology doctoral student.

"It's not only people who go to a therapist who might implant a false
memory or those who witness an accident and whose memory can be
distorted who can have a false memory. Memory is very vulnerable and
malleable. People are not always aware of the choices they make. This
study shows the power of subtle association changes on memory."

The research is a follow-up to an unpublished study by Loftus, a UW
psychology professor who is being honored by the APS this week with its
William James Fellow Award for psychological research; Kathryn Braun, a
visiting scholar at the Harvard Business School; and Rhiannon Ellis, a
former UW undergraduate who is now a doctoral student at the University
of Pittsburgh. In the original study, 16 percent of the people exposed
to a
Disneyland ad featuring Bugs Bunny later thought they had seen and met
the cartoon rabbit.

In the new research, Pickrell and Loftus divided 120 subjects into four
groups. The subjects were told they were going to evaluate advertising
copy, fill out several questionnaires and answer questions about a trip
Disneyland.

The first group read a generic Disneyland ad that mentioned no cartoon
characters. The second group read the same copy and was exposed to a
4-foot-tall cardboard figure of Bugs Bunny that was casually placed in
the
interview room. No mention was made of Bugs Bunny. The third, or Bugs
group, read the fake Disneyland ad featuring Bugs Bunny. The fourth, or
double, exposure group read the fake add and also saw the cardboard
rabbit.

This time 30 percent of the people in the Bugs group later said they
remembered or knew they had met Bugs Bunny when they visited
Disneyland and 40 percent of the people in the double exposure group
reported the same thing.

"'Remember' means the people actually recall meeting and shaking hands
with Bugs," explained Pickrell. "'Knowing' is they have no real memory,
but
are sure that it happened, just as they have no memory of having their
umbilical cord being cut when they were born but know it happened.

"Creating a false memory is a process. Someone saying, 'I know it could
have happened,' is taking the first step of actually creating a memory.
If you
clearly believe you walked up to Bugs Bunny, you have a memory."

In addition, Pickrell said there is the issue of the consequence of
false
memories or the ripple effects. People in the experiment who were
exposed to the false advertising were more likely to relate Bugs Bunny
other things at Disneyland not suggested in the ad, such as seeing Bugs
and Mickey Mouse together or seeing Bugs in the Main Street Electrical
Parade.

"We are interested in how people create their autobiographical